Wednesday, September 1, 2010

DIY - Glimmer Mist

I did some back reading of blogs the other day and was somewhat taken aback by the genius of my friend Glenna's blog of the same title, so I took a leaf from her book and made my own Glimmer Mist.


I managed to pick up the bottles at the Payless Plastics 50% off sale (major bonus for me) and most of the paint I already had in my stock so this was definitely a coup to get such a selection for only a few dollars, instead of about $150.00.


If you haven't tried this it is really easy. There are other "recipes" for the DIY Glimmer Mist, but Glenna's one is by far the easiest and cheapest so here goes...


Ingredients:
Atomiser/Mister bottle
Metallic Acrylic Paint
Acrylic Paint
Water


Methodology:
3/4 fill your atomiser with water... I eye balled this so sometimes I was up, sometimes I was down. 
Add a good squirt of your chosen metallic acrylic paint (I tried to get just under one complete layer of paint "spaghetti" on the bottom of the bottle)
Shake vigorously to mix up
Add a good squirt of your chosen acrylic paint (this I eyeballed again as the water was coloured so I couldn't tell exactly how much I put in. Err on the side of less, as you can always add more paint if it is not bright or intense enough)
Shake vigorously to mix up
Test to see if you like the colour combination & intensity. Adjust as desired.


Although the mixes look quite bright & intense, when they are sprayed on card stock & dried, the final result is more subdued. (Most of the samples had 2 or 3 layers of colour)

I can't wait to try them out on some projects instead of just small scraps of paper. Watch this space for the finished results.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Never tried it but I will. Can't wait.