Monday, January 17, 2011

Technique Class - Using Paper Napkins

When I first heard about people using paper napkins in their scrapbooking & crafting my first reaction was (quite bluntly) WTH?? Not only did I wonder how, I also wondered WHY (on earth) would you use those flimsy, boring squares of folded up paper I always took to picnics that generally got blown away before you could use them. And to be honest, I fobbed it all off as one of those "Not my cup of tea" trends and though no more of it.
Last year I signed up for a card swap on Crafting Passionz. Along with scraps of papers, ribbons, lace & brads, we had to send a paper napkin, so I had to go buy a pack, well two because I bought one and got one free (Gotta love a bargain).
So I figured seeing as I would be getting some in return and I now had some to spare, I had better find out how to use the things in my crafting. After some googling & You-Tubing, I gave it a go and well I loved the results.
Here is a link to a card I made earlier - Mel's Birthday Present.
So how do you use them? (And if anyone has any other ideas, please leave a comment with a link so I can go check them out myself).

  1. Napkins are usually double or triple layered so firstly separate the layers so you are left with the top "decorative" printed layer. The rest can be used for cleaning messes, drying stamps, paint brushes etc.
  2. Lightly spray your white paper / light-weight card stock with adhesive spray. I use Helmar Vellum Spray Adhesive as that is what I have on hand. Be use to spray in a well ventilated area or outside.
  3. Place your white paper on a flat surface, adhesive side up. Carefully place the napkin on top of the white paper. Pay particular attention to try to layer the napkin as crease-free as possible, unless this is the look you are going for. 
  4. Leave to dry - this should only take a few minutes, though ambient temperature & humidity may affect the drying time depending upon the adhesive used.
  5. Once dried, you can then treat your napkin as you would any other patterned paper. Cut to size, layer, decorate etc.
Variations:
  • Use coloured paper or light-weight cardstock to alter the finished colour
  • Scrunch the napkin (intentionally) for a more textured finish

No comments: