Friday, December 9, 2011

Christmas Craft Challenge 2011 - Day 9

Glass Bauble - Music


I have always wanted to use these, but have been a little scared to try them out as I've never found them at a reasonable price... and given my talent for uncontrollable clumsiness from time to time, playing with fragile glass objects didn't sound like a good idea.


At last I decided to fight the fear and do it anyway. Here is the first bauble...

Music has always been an important part of life and no doubt will always continue to be so as soon as I saw this idea I just knew I had to try it.

  1. Download printable sheet music - this can be found all over the internet. I found a vintage copy of "Jingle Bells" which I used for this project.
  2. Print out the sheet music. I printed this onto ordinary photocopy paper.
  3. Cut the sheet music horizontally into strips about 3/4" wide.
  4. Curl the patterned paper strips. I used my Petal Roller tools which I totally love for any curling, quilling and shaping paper flowers. You can get these from my shop. There are two sizes... thin for paper only and a thick version for paper or fabric. I have used both and think both are fantastic.
  5. Remove the top of the bauble. Push the curled paper into the glass bauble until it looks to be full but not over-full. Replace the top & loop.
  6. Adhere black glitter music themed stickers to the outside of the bauble.
  7. Hang on your Christmas Tree or display in a bowl with like items.
I've seen the baubles with sentiments but I loved the idea of the music icons (staff and notes) in keeping with the theme of the decorations inside the bauble. This also means I can use them at times other than Christmas... definitely a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is gorgeous Paula!!!! I so want to do one but im all packed up boooooo lol