Sunday, April 15, 2012

Journal Spot Swap

I know I seem to be doing a lot of swaps at the moment but to be honest, I'm quite enjoying them. I love that they are small, quick and I can create them in a production line. And when you are not really feeling very crafty they are great for reminding yourself how crafty you really are.


For this swap we had to create three journal spots, each with a Shabby Chic/Vintage style. I love these styles, though they are not really my usual scrapping style, so I sometimes struggle with them. I think much of my problem is my dislike of anything too pastel. That and I'm too much of a perfectionist and I dislike most things I create. Who doesn't think something could be better?


The guidelines said a) 3" b) 3 1/2" c) 4" and I loosely followed this.
Here are the finished journaling blocks with one of each for each participant.
And here is how I created each block:
Green Ticket Journal Spot:
Cardstock base in Celery cut into 4" x 3" rectangles
Distress the edges using Tim Holtz Distress Inks (in order) Crushed Olive, Faded Jeans and Walnut Stain. As I add each layer of distress ink I move less into the middle of the cardstock so you can see some of the previous layer of distress ink.
Stamp Hero Arts KEC28 Write Your Message stamp centred across the journal block using Walnut Stain Distress Ink.
Layer 2 tickets from Pink Paislee Parisian Anthology - Tickets, slightly off centre of each other. Pin together 2 strips of tissue paper from fabric pattern (1" x 2") and layer across tickets. Add Paper Flowers layered with a medium pearl. Adhere embellishments over top left corner.
Brown Postcard Journal Spot:
Grey cardstock cut into 4" x 2 3/4" rectangles

Distress the edges using AMM Caramel Paper Stain followed by Tim Holtz Distress Inks Stormy Sky and Walnut Stain. I applied the Distress Inks in a similar manner to the green journal spots.
Stamp Inkadinkado 94012 Postcard stamp centred across the journal block using Walnut Stain Distress Ink.
Distress the edges all around the journal block using an edge distresser.
Spritz the cardstock liberally with water using a mister/spritzer bottle. This will tone down the ink considerably and make the cardstock more pliable. Using your finger tip, roll the edges and corners to give a weathered look. Leave to dry or dry with heat tool.
When completely dry mist lightly with Tsunkineko Walnut Ink Antiquing Solution (Liquid), Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist Suede and Coffee Shop. Dry thoroughly with heat tool.
Salmon Key Journal Spot:
Trim Salmon cardstock to 3" x 3" square then use corner rounder on each corner.
Lightly sand the cardstock to reveal the white inner core and distress the cardstock.
Stamp larger flower corner stamp from the KaiserCraft Chapter One stamp set using Versa Mark watermark stamp pad.
When the ink is dry wipe the journal block with a Clear Images Pad then stamp Key stamp (Limited Edition Rubberstamp 650-594-4242) with embossing ink. Cover generously with Stamp It Embossing Powder in Polysparkle. Heat with heat tool to process embossing powder.
I really love the way that all three journal spots turned out. I also love that I was able to use colours I love and use all the time and yet still create a look that I think fits a Shabby Chic / Vintage theme.


Once again I created an extra set of the journal spots, so I will give this away to another lucky person who leaves a comment on my blog. Cut off date for comments Sunday 22 April so be sure to leave a comment to go into the draw for a set of adorable journal spots.

2 comments:

Lainie said...

I love your journaling spots! I'm jealous of your stamp collection and your use of them - my stamping is atrocious!

This is my second time posting here...hope it sticks :D

Unknown said...

Thanks Lainie. I do have one or two stamps (one or two hundred I'm sure lol). You are welcome to pop in and use them any time you like.
I seem to have fits and starts of stamping. I don't use them as much as I would like. Most stamps seem to be easier to use on smaller creations like cards or these journaling blocks rather than on layouts. Or maybe its just my choice of stamps lol.
And yes your post stuck this time.