Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Wine Journal

I spoke to my parents over the weekend, something I probably don't do often enough, but it was Father's Day so I made sure I phoned them for a catch up. (Make sure I'm still in the good books so I'm not taken out of their wills - just kidding).
My mother happened to slip into the conversation that my dad is going to be 70 this year. His birthday is the day after mine so I have NO EXCUSE whatsoever for forgetting what day it is, though I didn't realise it was a "big" birthday.
The budget is pretty tight here at the moment, but I couldn't send down nothing, so I had a bit of a think and finally came up with a brilliant idea. So this afternoon I sat down and put brilliant idea into action. 
My parents are both wine drinkers though my father in particular takes pleasure in analysing what they drink. I know he keeps records of what wine he buys and what he thinks of it, though I think he does this on the computer at home.
Now that mum has finally retired, they will be hoping to spend a bit more time in their bus (RV with all the mod-cons including satellite TV, toilet and shower). I know they will probably take their laptops and Kobos and whatever other toys they have, but I didn't think dad would take a full copy of his Wine Library with him, so what better present idea than a Wine Journal for the bus for all their drinking while they are away travelling.
I Googled some templates for wine journals and found a selection of different pages. I couldn't get one exactly like I wanted or in the size and orientation to suit the journal I was planning, so I created my own based on a combination of those I had found. I created the template in Microsoft Word and printed two per A4 page doubled sided (so four per page). I cut them in half to give me journal pages A5 size.
The covers were recycled cardboard, covered with patterned paper - same method I have used in the past. I added a stamped title to the front, keeping it very simple.
To finish it all off I bound the journal using my Bind-It-All. (This step took longer than expected as it's been a while since I used it... note to self - make more journals, soon!!)
 Front Cover
 Back Cover
Inside front cover and page template. The inside covers are the opposite to the outside of the covers.

2 comments:

Gypsy said...

Is that paper on the inside MME? It's very cool- the paper and the journal!

Unknown said...

Yes - It's from the Lost & Found - Union Square collection (now archived). I've bought a few of their paper packs from Warehouse Stationery here.
Thank you Gypsy. I love the way it's come out. Simple and manly, even with a little bit of glitter lol.