Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Good News... aka the continuing laptop saga

Not sure if you are following along at home with the continuing saga of my now dead laptop or not but here is the next installment...

In a nut shell...
My old laptop was diagnosed with a dying video chip which meant I could still use it thought I had to tolerate a screen covered in coloured stripes. That worked in theory until last weekend (a holiday long weekend for us here in New Zealand) when the video chip gave up completely and all I got when I turned my laptop on was a pretty (but nonfunctional) red screen.
Luckily being a long weekend (Labour Weekend) lots of stores had sales on...
Unluckily everyone else thought this was also a good idea...
Luckily when I went to my local Warehouse Stationery shop they still had a pretty good selection of laptops for sale...
Unluckily the one I wanted there was only the display model...
Luckily I still wanted it and the price was too good to miss out so I bought the display model as someone else was also looking at that very laptop...
Unluckily the store clerk said he would have to reset it to factory default...
Luckily I wasn't in that much of a rush so I could come back in an hour to pick up my new laptop as they were so close to my home...

So I picked her up and took her home with intentions of loading up all my software over the remainder of the long weekend so I could be back fully functional early in the week...

Unluckily when they had reset everything, something went array and I couldn't access the internet or any of the other software that the laptop supposedly had on it...
Luckily I had a system disc so I reloaded the operating system...
Unluckily that didn't work...
Luckily I wasn't working the next day so I was able to take my new laptop back to the store and explain what was wrong...
Unluckily they wanted to run some tests and try to solve the problem themselves so I had to go home again empty handed...
Luckily or unluckily depending upon your point of view they couldn't solve the problems so I got a phone call at midday to tell me they were couriering a replacement laptop from another store...
Luckily it arrived and about two hours later I picked up my new new laptop...
Luckily it was untouched, still sealed from the factory...
Luckily everything worked 100% when I plugged it all back in...
Luckily I kept an up-to-date list of software that I used on a regular basis that I needed to download...
Luckily I haven't looked back since I brought it home...

My new baby is nearly up to date. Still a few more programmes to download so I will be fully functional. Then I just need to upload my data from my backups and I will be back up and running at 100% as if nothing had happened.

Phew... it's been a busy couple of days, even though you spend a fair amount of time sitting around staring at the screen while software uploads... but I feel good and positive about moving forward. 

The really good news is that in a day or two I hope to be able to carry on with my blogging as if nothing had ever happened. YAY for blog posts with pictures and maybe video... instead of just me yabbering on.

Watch this space...

No comments: