Monday, December 10, 2012

Christmas Craft Challenge - Day 10

Day 10 - Recycled Heart

Okay... that title doesn't sound the best, though it is the truth. Everything I used to create this heart, was recycled...


I cut the inside heart first from the flap off a packaging box. I used the inside edge of the smallest Fiskars heart super template. Once I had cut it out, I pulled off parts of one side of the heart to give it an instant aged and distressed look. I also added some Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Walnut Ink around the edge of the heart. The trick to this was using a mini cotton wool ball to do the inking. This enabled me to do both the hills and valleys of the corrugated cardboard.

I then cut a larger heart out of recycled cardboard (cereal packet) using the outside edge of the same heart template. I coated one side with Elmer's glue then adhered some scrunched tissue paper. 

Once this was dry I cut around the heart, leaving an edge of about 3/4" to fold over to the back side of the heart. I glued this down as well and left it to dry overnight.

I adhered the corrugated heart to the middle of the tissue wrapped heart. I also inked the outside edge of the tissue heart to coordinate with what I had done on the internal heart. 

To finish, I punched a hole in the top of the heart and added a string to hang the heart. Finally I added a wire flower with a bead accent I made for another project, but then didn't use.

No comments: