Sunday, April 28, 2013

Fifty {Two} Shades of Grey - Week 17

As soon as I saw this item it just brought back so many memories from my childhood.


My maternal grandmother was always a great cook. Her kitchen usually smelt of homing cooking or baking whenever we went to visit. The kitchen was filled with so many cupboards and every inch was filled with pots and pans and ingredients and preserves and everything else that kitchen's of that era used to have. In the attached dining room there was a food safe... something I had never seen before or since.
I loved helping Nana when she was baking. I loved to go through her cupboards looking for all the ingredients, or getting the eggs and butter out of the food safe. When we had all the ingredients, we then had to find the baking tin or dish before all the fun could begin.
Back then all the baking dishes were metal and well aged as many had been handed down from one generation to the next. There was no silicone and glass cooking items only appeared when I was older. Pot mitts were hand made and hung within easy reach of the oven.
I remember the little pock marks in the silver coating of some of Nana's recycled tins. Marks from use rather than artistic distressing. I love that I've been able to find my own little piece of history.

No comments: