Thursday, May 30, 2013

Creative Adventures Downunder - Part 2

Rather than overload you with my glowing about the Creative Adventures Weekend, I've decided to split is up into segments... hence part 2. You can see the introduction in part one here.

Somewhere in all the pre-event discussion it was suggested and then decided that as an optional extra, those who wanted to could make ATC's (Artist Trading Cards) for swapping/trading with other participants over the weekend's events. As I had time on my hands I decided I definitely wanted to join in.
Around this same time, a discussion took place in Facebook about the anticipation that everyone was feeling leading up to the event... which inevitably lead to a discussion about the Rocky Horror Picture Show (yes I may be showing my age here) including links to clips on YouTube and various comments about who attended what shows and who went to the midnight screenings all dressed up in costume.
I took my lead from this discussion for the theme of my ATC and I created...
 I made 144 ATC's all of the same design but all of which looked different. Here is just a sample of the finished ATC's.
 The front:
I worked out I could make 12 ATC's from a 12" x 12" sheet of cardstock as each ATC needed to measure 3.5" x 2.5". The base was Bazzill Kraft Cardstock. I then adhered torn strips of Bazzill "Antique Sheet Music Paper". I coloured the entire back ground using Ranger Industries Tim Holtz Distress Inks in Antique Linen, Fired Brick, Aged Mahogany and Black Soot with my Foam Ink Applicators. I spritzed them generously with water to blend the inks then dried them off with my trusty heat tool.
I misted the backgrounds in patches with Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist - Lobster before trimming the backgrounds down to the individual ATC sizes.
I stamped each ATC with a "Kiss" stamp I picked up second hand on TradeMe and embossing ink then sprinkled them with a Red Glitter Embossing Powder which I have had in my stash for probably 8 - 10 years. (Source unknown). Once heated to emboss in place, this still gave the lips a glittery look, perfect for the theme! (Yes I had to do this 144 times!!)
I printed from my laptop onto cardboard the sentiment "I see you shiver with anticipation!" the infamous line from Frankenfurter. I hand cut these out for a distressed uneven look, then applied Ranger Industries Tim Holtz Distress Inks Black Soot directly to each sentiment. 
The final step for the front was to hand pierce then hand stitch cross stitches along the edge of each card. These were my homage to the laced corset that Tim Curry wore as Frankenfurter for most of the movie.
On the back of the ATC (mainly to hide my stitching and any over inking marks) I adhered a ATC summary as shown above. This listed the Series and name as well as giving all my contact details. You can also see that each card was individually numbered and signed.
Throughout the event I managed to trade some of my ATC's with other participants as well as giving a whole lot to those who hadn't made any. (I made enough so that everyone would be able to get one). Above are the ATC's I traded with some of the talented people at CAD.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

I see mine wahooooooooo and I see some that I don't have!!!!
Lovely to meet you Paula, loving your posts about our fab weekend

Unknown said...

Hi Sandra, it was so lovely to finally meet you as well.
It was a fantastic event and I am so pleased I was able to go. I'm already saving for next year.
Thank you, I'm enjoying writing about the fab weekend and remembering all the highlights. (Spot the girlie swat)